zucchini muffins
I love to bake (except for the part where I have to wash the dishes) and I’ve had a lot of fun trying different recipes that Finley AND Kris will eat. They both love muffins and I decided to find a recipe where I could pack a bunch of healthy stuff in and get them to eat it. The result was a huge success! The entire batch was gone after two days. This recipe does not have any butter or sugar in it (WHAT?!?!) and it still tastes decliciuosly moist and sweet.
I got the inspiration and the base of my recipe from a this blog that I recently came across and can’t stop reading, wwww.weelicious.com. She creates fabulous, healthy foods for her kiddos and has really inspired me with new ideas. Here is her version of the zucchini muffins http://weelicious.com/2010/03/10/zucchini-muffins/.
Here is the version I made, not much different from hers. Although next time I think I’ll reduce the oil because the yogurt really makes it moist and also throw in some wheat germ.
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 Eggs, whisked
1 Tsp Vanilla
1/3 Cup Vegetable or Canola Oil (*if you add the yogurt you could probably cut this in half)
2/3 Cup Agave Nectar (yummy!)
1 1/2 Cups Zucchini, shredded (I used 1 1/2 large zucchinis)
1 carrot, grated
raisins (I think I threw in about 1/3 cup)
large dollop of plain yogurt (I used greek yogurt and it was probably about 1 1/2 tbl’s worth… as you can see I don’t measure).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir just until the ingredients are combined.
5. Pour the zucchini mixture into large or small muffins cups (I used large and used paper liners to ensure the muffins didn’t burn).
6. Bake 20-30 minutes checking often after 20 minutes to ensure they don’t burn. I think I ended up cooking for about 25 minutes and had to check the temp of the muffins because they were so moist, yummm!
7. Cool and serve.
I put the extras in the fridge but you could also freeze them.
