Chicken and Pork Recipes

Since having Finley my appetite for chicken has slowly come back (I had a huge aversion to chicken while pregnant). Let’s face it, chicken can be pretty boring so I’ve been spending a lot of time trying to come up with some creative chicken dishes. Here are some that I’ve cooked up recently.

Asian Chicken This sauce is actually a recipe for an Asian Pork Tenderloin marinade from myrecipes.com… I didn’t have tenderloin on hand so I used it as a sauce for cooking the chicken and it was delicious!

  • 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1/3  cup lite soy sauce
  • 1/4  cup  sesame oil
  • 1/3  cup  packed light brown sugar
  • 2  tablespoons  Worcestershire sauce
  • 2  tablespoons  lemon juice
  • 4  garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1  tablespoon  dry mustard
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  pepper
  • cooked brown rice
    1. combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, dry mustard and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
    2. cut the chicken up into bite size pieces and cook in a pan (I sprayed the pan with Pam instead of using olive oil)
    3. add the sauce mixture to the pan with the cooked chicken and stir well to coat the chicken. simmer for about 30 minutes until sauce is reduced.
    4. cook rice according to box instructions and serve the chicken on top of the rice.

    Side - I served this with cooked, shelled Edamame on the side.

    BBQ Chicken and Cheddar Sandwiches I found this recipe on the blog Recipe Shoebox and made it when Angela was in town. I don’t think we said anything other than mmm, mmm, mmm the entire time we were eating!

    • 4 strips bacon, halved crosswise
    • 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    • salt and pepper
    • 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce (I used Blue Ribbon BBQ sauce from QFC)
    • 1/4 cup water
    • hamburger buns
    • 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1. preheat oven to 425 (my oven cooks a little low, so 400 may be high enough for others).
    2. cook bacon in oven (cook for 10 minutes on one side then flip and cook for another 10 minutes… perfect bacon – cooking times may vary depending on your bacon preference). Set aside.
    3. season chicken with salt and pepper and cook over the stove (I coated the pan in olive oil). I tend to be on the safe side and cook chicken longer than recipes call for. This recipe calls for 4 minutes per side, I think I did closer to 8 minutes per side. Once the first side is browned, flip the chicken and cook until lightly browned.
    4. add BBQ sauce and water to the pan. Cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened (about 8 minutes).
    5. remove chicken and cut up into bite size pieces. place buns on a baking sheet. put chicken pieces on the bottom half of the buns and top with sauce, bacon and cheese.
    6. bake open faced sandwiches in oven until cheese melts and rolls are golden brown (about 5 minutes).

    Side – I served this with sliced bell peppers and hummus for dipping along with potato chips.

    Slow Cooked Sweet and Sour Pork this was in document that a friend sent me with a ton of slow cooker recipes and it was easy and delicious.

    • 1 1/2 pounds pork loins, lean, boneless -- cut into cubes
    • 8 ounces canned pineapple chunks in juice – undrained
    • 1 medium red bell pepper -- cut into squares OR green bell pepper
    • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
    • 1/4 cup vinegar
    • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 3 tablespoons water
    • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
    • 2 cups cooked rice

    In 3-1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker, combine pork, pineapple, bell pepper, brown sugar, ginger, vinegar and soy sauce. Mix well. Cover; cook on LOW setting for 6 to 8 hours. About 5 minutes before serving, in small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons water and cornstarch; blend well. Stir into pork mixture in slow cooker. Cover; cook on high setting for an additional 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve pork mixture over rice.

    Prepare rice 25 minutes before serving.

    Side – roasted zucchini, broccoli and red pepper. cut the zucchini in half and then cut in chunky strips and put on a cookie sheet add a sliced bell pepper and broccoli florets. Cover with about 2 tbl of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss well and cook in the oven at 400 for 15-20 minutes.

    Post a Comment


      © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

    Back to TOP